Drones (or autonomous equipment) should encounter a very receptive market in the oil and gas sector. Of all the digital technologies drones will deliver superior triple bottom line benefits. Moreover, it is in many oil and gas basins’ best interests to accelerate autonomy solutions. Here’s why.
WHY OIL AND GAS
The oil and gas sector is actually very well suited to exploring and adopting autonomous kit.
- The work can be dangerous – fumes and vapours from the product can asphyxiate or ignite
- The work location is frequently remote and harsh, driving up the cost of housing human operators
- Well trained human capital is now scarce because of the downsizing in the sector.
- The sector is an avid consumer of the kinds of kit that autonomous favors – heavy lifters, haulers, movers.
- The physical assets (plants, pipelines) are long life assets that require steady and often routine attention, making payback easier.
- The work has lots of routine elements (heavy haulers trundling around mines, or engineers driving around to inspect facilities).
- Environments where autonomous kit can be deployed are not shared with public use infrastructure (which takes way risks).
This is an introduction to an article written by Geoffrey Cann and Jay Billesberger... To read the entire article on Digital Oil and Gas click here.